The Surroundings – Thurmont, MD
In the twenty years I have lived in Thurmont, the population has more than doubled. A Main Street Community, Thurmont is currently home to a diverse group of about 6,500 residents. The best-known features include Camp David, Catoctin Mountain Park, Cunningham Falls State Park, the annual Catoctin Colorfest, many great restaurants, and of course, Commodore Recording Studio!
FUN FACTS ABOUT THURMONT, MARYLAND
- Between 1751 and 1894, Thurmont was known as “Mechanicstown.”
- Stick matches were first manufactured in Thurmont in 1825.
- Contrary to some urban legends, Thurmont is not a KKK stronghold!
- During the Clinton administration, the president was sometimes seen jogging through town.
- Camp David was called “Hi-Catoctin” and “Shangri-la” before taking on its current name.
- International dignitaries hosted at Camp David include Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, Anwar al-Sadat, Mehachem Begin, Tony Blair, Vladimir Putin and many others.
- Thurmont is home to 4 orchards, 3 Chinese restaurants, 2 tattoo parlors and 1 recording studio.
What else is here?
Carriage House Inn
Food Lion (deli)
Mountain Gate Family Restaurant
New Win Hing
Rocky’s New York Pizza
Thurmont Kountry Kitchen
Weis (deli, subs, pizza)
The Lodge at Blue Ridge Summit
Catoctin Mountain Orchard
Catoctin Mountain Park (Camp David)
Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo
Cunningham Falls State Park
Gettysburg National Military Park
Liberty Mountain Resort
Loy’s Station Covered Bridge
National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes
Pen-Mar Park (Cascade)
Roundtop Mountain Resort
Antietam Napa Auto Parts
Brown’s Jewelry &Gift Store
Emmitsburg Antique Mall
Gateway Market & Candy Kitchen
Hobbs True Value Hardware
In Towne Barber
Jen’s Cutting Edge Salon
Number One Nail
Renovations Salon & Day Spa
Thurmont Barber & Styling
Timeless Trends Boutique
Twice Is Nice (second hand store)
Zurgable Brothers Hardware (Emmitsburg)
Francis Scott Key Mall
Hagerstown Premium Outlets
The Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg
Direct To You (Gas only, cash only)
EZ Fill Getty (Emmtsburg)
High’s Dairy Store (Shell gas)
Hoffmann’s Market (No gas)
Silo Hill Exxon (Emmitsburg)
7-Eleven (Rt. 15 N)
7-Eleven (Rt. 15 S – Sunoco gas)
PNC Bank (2)